Sunday, April 10, 2011

PS2 Unboxing and First Impressions

Well I figured my first ‘real’ post should be on something I’m playing with at the moment. Last year my faithful launch day Playstation 2 met an unfortunate fate. Insurance was covering the cost of a replacement, but I hadn’t got around to actually getting one due to my attention being drawn by the current generation of consoles. That changed this week when I happen to notice a local Target had their stock of PS2’s on clearance. After a quick check of nearby stores, most either were also clearing their stock or had already sold what they had. It appears that most of them have finally decided after more than a decade to stop carrying Sony’s second Playstation.

Well, in fear of having a hard time getting one later, I picked one up. You can tell the interest in the PS2 has waned since I was able to score one of the ‘holiday’ bundles that Sony put out late last year that contained a copy of Toy Story 3.


You could tell that it was a repackaged deal, since the cover was re-taped with the game inside and the game label slapp ed on. The packaging is very minimal and barebones. You can tell overall that Sony has economized the PS2 as much as possible. It shows with the system itself too as we will see.


After pulling everything from the box, except the Toy Story game(don’t see myself ever playing that), this is what we are left with. The console, one Dualshock 2 controller, a composite A/V cable, and a standard power cord. In my setup I will be using the Dualshock from my last system and a component A/V cable to hook it up to my A/V system. So the new controller and composite cable go back in the box.


First thing I noticed about the new system is how small it is compared to the original model. It’s a feather weight and less than half as thick as the original. I do have to say, I don’t like the newer pop-up disk door. Feels very flimsy compared to the original slide out disk drive. You can tell most of the design changes were to make it lower cost for Sony to make but gives it a very cheap feel. Even though the original model was bigger, I much preferred that design.



On the front we have the standard memory card slots, controller ports, power/eject buttons, and usb ports. We also have the inclusion of the IR port for remote controls. This use to be handled by a accessory that plugged into a controller port on older systems. The newer models also have removed the 4-pin Firewire port. This was never really implemented in any games. Which is a shame since firewire is such a robust port and was forward thinking to add to a game console. As a side note, it’s nice that they kept the rotating Playstation emblem on the front.


On the back we have the standard power, AV multi out, and digital optical out. Also on the newer models is the ethernet port for online gameplay. The older models required a network adapter, which I never ended up getting due to none of my games having online support. I will eventually hook it up to play with but don’t ever see really using it.


The setup is like any other Playstation 2. One thing a I did notice is how LOUD the thing is. I guess the re-inclusion of the power supply requires the fan to run at a high rpm to maintain cooling. Very off putting compared to how quiet my old model performed. No big changes in the UI as far as I can see, except for the inclusion of the network MAC address. Everything works like you would expect a Playstation 2 to do. It is surprising how dated the interface looks on a newer HDTV. I know it’s only 480p on a 1080p screen, but I remember how slick and futuristic the UI looked back in 2000 when I powered on my PS2 for the first time. Made you really think that a new generation of gaming was starting. Just shows no matter how cool and advanced a product, time stops for no man or hardware.


No comments: